The Vintage Papers Project is a collection of vintage newspapers, photos, letters, etc., transcribed and posted for people researching their family histories.

Friday, March 6, 2015

Letter, to Ellen Erwin, from Joe C. Brown, 1916

Richmond, Va.
July 1, 1916

Dear Ellen--

Am starting this while waiting for our train to get loaded.  Am sitting on the grass, writing on a knapsack.  Also please excuse pencil, as there is no pen convenient.

I expected to hear from you this afternoon but as we were supposed to leave at four o'clock the mail was not brought out to camp.

Enclosed clipping will describe what we have been doing in Richmond.  It is just like the real thing.  Do not know why my name was left out.  The fellow who wrote it says it was the fault of the paper, that they changed some other things, too.

We are going to Brownsville, Texas.  We haven't any Pullman car but each fellow is to have a seat to himself, so I guess we will fare alright.  We have received most of our uniform.  It includes underclothes and sox.

It looks now as if there is not going to be any war.  Even if there is the band will be in no danger.

We had our picture snapped yesterday but it was not good.  I guess we will have some made at Brownsville.  I do not know how far that is from Ft. Worth.  It may be several hundred miles.  I do not think you will need to wait to hear from me before writing.  Just address it,
J.C. Brown
2 Reg Band. Va. N.Y.
Brownsville, Texas

Tell me all the news you can as I haven't gotten a paper for some time.

Yours,
Joe

Addressed:
Ellen Erwin
Rutherfordton, N.C.

Postmarked:
Richmond, VA
July 7, 1916
2 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment