The Vintage Papers Project is a collection of vintage newspapers, photos, letters, etc., transcribed and posted for people researching their family histories.

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Letter, to Ellen Erwin, from E.F. Taylor, 1919

Washington, D.C., 4/9/19

Dear Ellen:

Have just got my Kodak pictures that I made last Sunday, and am sending them up for your inspection.  I have a $2.50 Kodak, the cheapest on the market of the Eastman line.  It is the "2-A Brownie."  I went out last Sunday afternoon for a walk in the "fresh air," and as usual on such strolls I carried the Kodak along.  I have already made "snap-shots" of nearly every place of interest around the city, but one never knows when something unusual is going to bob up and make an interesting subject for a picture.  It is somewhat like the hunter, however.  When he goes out with his gun and plenty of bullets all the game seems to be out of sight.  But just let him use up all his ammunition and go carrying an empty gun, or let him go out without his gun, --then all the game in the woods will appear before him.  So it happened last Sunday.  On my way back with all my film used up I saw a streetcar run off the track right in the middle of Rock Creek Bridge.  I would have given a quarter for just one snap of it, but--no film.  (No one was hurt in the "wreck"; the car didn't go off the bridge.)

While sitting down for a rest on top of a little hill in "Woodland Drive Park" I noticed a large flat stone nearby, and an idea occurred to me.  Funny I never thought of it before.  I figured that I could set the Kodak on that big rock, lay another rock on top of it to hold it steady, tie a string to the shutter, get in front of it and "snap-shoot" myself.  Which I proceeded to do.  (If I had substituted a gun for the Kodak I might have done a better job!)  It was a crude experiment.  I had nothing to go by but guesswork.  The result proved to be better than I expect.  But my goodness!  How old I look!  Why I don't look that way in a mirror, but always do in a photograph.  Keep all of them if you wish, but tell me which one you think is bet.  I have several prints of each, so don't send them back if you would prefer to keep them.  (I'll send you a big real photo some day.)

Do you wonder why I haven't sent you any of my "views of Washington"?  Because most of it was such poor work I didn't want you to see it.  I never had more than one print of each made and sent them all home.  I have a few views of the recent parade here which I will send you later.  Also any good ones I may make in the future.

Write soon.

Yours,
Eddie

Addressed to:
Miss Ellen Erwin
Rutherfordton
N. Carolina

Addressed from:
E.F. Taylor
2106 Pa. Ave. N.W.
Washington, D.C.

Postmarked:
Washington, D.C.
Apr 10, 1919
1 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment